The Aix-en-Provence Court of Appeal canceled, on Wednesday July 27, the placement under judicial supervision of the lawyer Pascal Garbarini in the investigation into the criminal gang known as the “Petit Bar”. He was suspected of participating in a criminal association.
The Aix-en-Provence Court of Appeal has canceled the placement under judicial supervision of the lawyer Pascal Garbarini in the investigation into the Corsican criminal gang of the “Petit Bar”, judging the clues used to meet him insufficient. informed AFP, Wednesday, July 27, from concordant sources.
“The Aix-en-Provence investigating chamber on Wednesday overturned the placement under judicial supervision of Me Pascal Garbarini considering that the serious and concordant indications making his participation in a criminal association likely were insufficient.“, told AFP the general prosecutor’s office, which had itself requested in this sense.”We can only welcome such a decision“, mentioned in a press release the lawyers of Me Garbarini, Me Francis Teitgen, Patrick Maisonneuve and Marie-Laure Barre.
Pascal Garbarini had been indicted in mid-June by a judge for “criminal association” in the financial investigation targeting this criminal group. Also placed under the status of assisted witness for “laundering”, he had been placed under judicial control with the obligation to pay a deposit and the prohibition to come into contact with the other members of the file.
“This infamous indictment was in fact in no way justified and was not based on any objective element.“, his lawyers said on Wednesday, who told AFP that they had filed on July 25 “a motion for nullity” of this indictment.
Famous lawyer who notably defended Yvan Colonna at the trial of the assassination of the prefect Claude Erignac, Me Garbarini is also the lawyer for Jacques Santoni, the alleged leader of the “Petit Bar”, indicted in January 2021, in particular for extortion in organized gang, aggravated money laundering and association of criminals, in this vast financial investigation.
“Cash handling, numerous international financial movements and suspicious real estate investments“have been highlighted in this investigation, had indicated in mid-January 2021 the Marseille prosecutor, during a first series of indictments.
In April 2021, people involved in money laundering operations “via bank transfers in China“have been indicted, announced the Marseille prosecutor’s office, for acts committed in France, but also in Hong Kong, Singapore, Switzerland, Luxembourg and Panama. These embezzlements would relate to”48 million euros of offshore and real estate investments“, according to the daily Le Monde.
Pascal Garbarini had already been placed in police custody as part of an investigation targeting this band in October 2013 in Nanterre (Hauts-de-Seine) without any prosecution having been retained.